I know it's been a long time...

Once again, it's been a long time since I have last posted. Instead of a bunch of photos, or a story. I'm just going to post a bunch of thoughts and information about my life. If this is interesting to you, then keep reading.

I've been a resident of Inuvik for almost five years now.

For most part, I have lived, ate, breathed, and slept the Inuvik experience for so long that I'm now used to dressing up in a parka and alpaca long underwear just to walk a block to the store. I'm used to paying $10 for a jug of milk, if they have any left, or it's not expired. I'm used to a lot of things I never thought I would get used to. Having a family is new (and awesome), and sometimes scary. I've even gotten used to eating differently, and as a result have lost weight (and continue to do so), thanks to a foray into the Atkin's diet.

For the most part, I have been stuck in Inuvik. My entire time up here, I have only ever made a serious attempt at a vacation twice. Once I manage to get to Edmonton for a sales trip with a clothing manufacturer, and a couple of summers ago I took few-day a road trip to visit Dawson with my friend Jordan.

My woman and her children grew up in the north. She wants something different, both for her and her kids. We are about ready for a change. Getting out of Inuvik however can be logistically & financially difficult, especially with a family. Even though we are ready to go, I think we will likely be here for another year. 

And if we are, I plan to make the most of it.

I started this as a catalog of my adventures in the north and it was the primary point of the blog, which is why there haven't been any posts of late. My adventures took a back-seat while learning to integrate with my family, and in many ways it's been like learning a whole new way to live. For the last couple of years, I took a break from photography, from filming, and from most of my other hobbies to concentrate on on my awesome woman and her equally awesome kids. I feel comfortable now, and as such, it's time to bring some of my hobbies and future career goals back into the mix.


My filmmaking is no longer on hold. I have been spending an increasing amount of time learning everything from 3D modeling & animation, compositing, VFX, editing, scoring, audio recording, directing, writing, and so much more. I have re-made filmmaking a priority & career goal in my life. What I need now is some practice to hone my craft.

2016 is going to be the year of the short-film!

To kick things off, I have thrown my hat into the Dead North Film Festival, the product of which will be an under 10 minute horror short. I almost have a script ready, a crew coming together, actors lined up, and I feel more confident than ever that I can pull this off. If everything goes according to plan, filming will commence in the new year, and posts production will carry though to mid-February.

The north is filled with beautiful, creative, talented, and bored people. I feel it's time to reach out and connect with some of them and make something. I know my first shorts are likely going to be terrible, but that's the point of practice. I have decided to let go of my inner perfectionist and just make things... anything.

Over the next bit I plan to revamp this blog, which will now become a home to my filmmaking adventures.

Oh, and I also plan to post more than once a year.


Happy holidays everyone!

JD Jones

Comments

Popular Posts